Sunday 10 May 2009

Pebbles


One of my favourite sub-projects that I have done during the course of this semester is scouring the beach for a variety of different pebbles. On February 18th I went down to the bay without any real purpose. I wanted to find something to do as it was a mild, still day, and they are the best for productivity. I walked around, taking things in, still none the wiser as to what I was actually doing there other than enjoying the atmosphere. After a while I noticed how incredible the branches of the hawthorn bush at the end of the bay looked against the grey winter sky. They almost looked black as they fell against the sullen backdrop. I took a photo, and began to think about the possibilities around me. I began to look for naturally occurring linear forms in the rocks near by. Lines that looked almost drawn. Possibly even something I could take influence from. It was then that I decided analysing pebbles would be the most interesting way of doing this. Pebbles are one of the key features of this bay, and as this is a thorough study of what can be found here it made sense to include a small project that would show them off. A couple of hours, and fifty photos later I was happy with the results. I also couldn't feel my fingers, so it was a good time to be happy with the results. You may be wondering why I am telling you this, but I have my reasons! Yesterday I finished the layout for a book of all these photographs, which I have ordered ready for the degree show! I am excited! I hope it turns out well. Fingers crossed. That is all.

No comments: